1) The Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) held its Annual General Assembly on 13th April, 2019, at Hotel De Bently, Abuja. It was attended by 28 out of 36 states of the Federation and the FCT. 12 out of 16 Board members were also in attendance with 1 apology.
2) The Annual General Assembly also had in attendance The Honourable Minister of Youth and Sports, Barr. Solomon Selcap Dalung, who performed the Ceremonial Declaration of opening the Assembly in the presence of FIBA (World Basketball Governing body) representative, Mr Hesham El -Hariri and 2nd Vice President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC), Barr. Francis Orbih, who represented the President of the NOC.
3) The NBBF President, Engr (Dr) Ahmadu Musa Kida, in his welcome address thanked all the delegates for believing in the Board’s leadership as it repositions Basketball in Nigeria for stability, sustainable growth and development. The President further assured all that the Board will not betray the confidence reposed on it.
4) The President, on behalf of the Federation, thanked the President, Commander – in Chief if rhe Armed Forces, Muhammadu Buhari, for the unwavering support given to the Federation so far, without which all the numerous successes achieved by the NBBF Board the past one and half years would not have been possible.
5) The NBBF President further thanked the Honourable Minister or Sports for his unwavering support and determination on behalf of Government to see to the stability, growth and development of Nigerian basketball and gave further assurance to the entire Nigeria that the Board will continue to make Nigeria proud.
6) The NBBF President also thanked FIBA for their support towards the development of Basketball in Nigeria and restated the commitment of the Board to work with all relevant stakeholders to sustain the successes achieved thus far and move the game forward.
The President further thanked FIBA for believing in the current Board of the NBBF by giving Nigeria the opportunity to host the 3rd & 4th Windows of African Qualifiers of FIBA 2019 World Cup.
7) The President also thanked the leadership of NOC for their constant advise and regular interface with FIBA that brought stability, growth and development of Basketball in Nigeria, without which the monumental successes recorded by NBBF since 2017 would have been difficult.
8) FIBA, through its representative, Mr Hesham EL- Hariri praised the NBBF for putting together a successful AGA. He stated that he was here on the directive of FIBA to observe and convey FIBA’s total support which is a confirmation and approval of the Annual General Assembly. The FIBA Representative further assured the Assembly that FIBA will always respect the decisions reached at the AGA, being the only one recognized.
9) The NOC President, expressed delight that finally, the first NBBF AGA since 2017 is being staged. He expressed delight at the presence and endorsement of FIBA of the Annual General Assembly and the NBBF Board. He charged the Board to accelerate the growth and development of Basketball in Nigeria. He further assured that the NOC will abide by and respect the decisions reached at the 2019 Annual General Assembly.
10) The Honourable Minister of Sports, in declaring the General Assembly open, thanked FIBA and the NOC for their unwavering support to the NBBF since 2017 which brought about some laudable achievements and advised all Basketball stakeholders in Nigeria to team up with the NBBF Board for the development of Basketball in Nigeria. He praised the NBBF for their record setting achievements since elected democratically, in 2017 and urged them not to relent in their efforts until Nigeria can compete favorably with the best in the world, noting that the rate of achievements guarantees that the Board is destined for greatness.
11. The Assembly considered the Draft NBBF Statutes and received contributions from the accredited delegates on the subject. After a thorough review of the Draft Statutes and the Vote Cast, Assembly unanimously approved, ratified and adopted the NBBF Statutes to be called: The NBBF Statutes 2019.
12) The Assembly unanimously approved the NBBF 2017 and 2018 Audited Financial Report as presented by the NBBF Auditors Messrs Kolawole Akintunde and Co ( Chartered Accontants). The Assembly further approved the Appointment of Messrs Kolawole Akintunde and Co (Chartered Accountants) as NBBF Auditors for another 2 years.
13.) The Assembly also unanimously approved the Presented 2019 NBBF programme of Activities.
14.) The Assembly appreciated the achievements recorded by the NBBF Board, which prominently include Afrobasket Women Basketball championships won by the D’Tigress, the AfroBasket Men championships in which the D’Tigers came second, the exploits of D’tigress at the FIBA Women World Cup in Spain, where the Team set an African record by reaching the Quarter Finals for the first time and D’Tigers qualification for the FIBA Men’s World Cup in China, particularly the successful hosting of the World Cup Africa Zone Qualifiers 3rd and 4th window and lots more. The Assembly the urged the Board not to relent in its effort in seeing that Basketball is well grounded in Nigeria.
15.) The Assembly passed a vote of Confidence on the Dr (Engr.) Ahmadu Musa Kida as President of NBBF alobg with the entire NBBF Board.
Comminique Drafting Committee:
1). Victor Owukere- Chairman
2). Buhari Dalhatu Sada – Member
3). Sunday Donald – Member
4). Dr Ikechukwu Okoro – Member
5) Oni Afolabi -Secretary